Invisalign® is a popular dental treatment for adult patients who are interested in getting a straighter smile without the need for traditional braces. Invisalign uses nearly invisible, custom-made aligners that can be removed and replaced for eating and daily cleaning. Rather than using metal brackets and wires, these clear aligners are made of smooth plastic, and are designed to make small changes to the alignment of the teeth, gradually and gently moving them to the proper positions. Dr. John Pappas offers Invisalign at his Masterpiece Dentistry practice in Boston and Burlington, MA.
Why choose Invisalign at Masterpiece Dentistry?
There are many benefits of choosing Invisalign over traditional metal braces, including:
- Appearance: The clear plastic that Invisalign aligners are composed of make them nearly invisible to the naked eye. Unlike bulky, shiny traditional metal braces, Invisalign offers a more discreet look.
- Comfort: Since clear aligners fit close to your teeth, there is no cause for abrasions or discomfort that can come with traditional braces. About the only slight discomfort that occurs with wearing Invisalign is the shifting of your teeth as treatment progresses.
- Ease: Invisalign is a removable mouthpiece, so regular brushing and flossing can continue like normal. With traditional braces, it may be a little more challenging to clean your teeth thoroughly because the hardware in your mouth is cemented in.
- Less risk: If you opt for clear aligners, you do not have to avoid hard or chewy foods to protect your treatment device, unlike patients with traditional braces. The aligners can simply be removed before eating.
- Fewer visits: Compared to regular orthodontist visits for adjustments of traditional braces, patients using clear aligners may only be required to visit Dr. Pappas every four to six weeks, sometimes even less.
How long does treatment take?
Invisalign treatment typically takes around six to 12 months in total, but Dr. Pappas will help determine what length of treatment would be best for you specifically. Each individual set of aligners will usually be worn for around one to two weeks before switching to a new set. You can be successful in your Invisalign treatment by following the protocol: wearing your aligners 20 to 24 hours a day and continuing to follow proper dental hygiene by brushing and flossing every day.
If you want to learn more about Invisalign, contact Dr. Pappas at Masterpiece Dentistry in Boston and Burlington, MA.